It is no news that industrial structures located near water sources are subjected to regular environmental elements like high humidity, mist, or salt-infused moisture-laden winds that can get irreversibly damaged due to corrosion.
All industrial complex managers across the globe need to make sure that they are proactively implementing active or passive corrosion preventative measures. If they fail to do so, there will be instances of downtime and even shortening of the enterprise’s overall corporate lifespan.
This article in the following sections will try to shed light on –
- What is corrosion?
- How it negatively affects industrial enterprises?
- What are the benefits of corrosion mitigation services?
Read on to learn more –
What Is Corrosion?
Corrosion is a chemical reaction where the overall structural integrity of the affected surface deteriorates due to the catalytic behaviour of environmental elements.
How Does Corrosion Negatively Affect An Industrial Complex?
Corroded structures such as industrial heating exchangers can lead to fatalities or irreversible injuries to workforce members of an industrial complex. In addition, it can lead to losses as the industrialist would need to pay for damages to the affected party. One would also need to prepare for losses that may result in clients moving on to rival enterprises due to the loss of faith in the affected industrial enterprise.
Furthermore, corroded industrial infrastructure also leads to –
- Wastage of raw materials
- Deteriorating operation efficiency of manufacturing units
- Diminishing product quality and more.
How Can Corrosion Be Mitigated?
Corrosion in an industrial complex. It can be mitigated in a myriad of ways. Some of the most effective and easy-to-implement ways are as follows –
- Corrosion engineers associated with reputed providers of corrosion mitigation services often advise industrialists to use non-corrosive metallic materials when the latter has plans to repair, replace or add an extension to their industrial complex.
- Corrosion mitigation experts also advise industrial complex managers to ensure that they are climate-proofing critical industrial equipment and infrastructure by installing climate control systems, dehumidifiers, and efficient exhaust systems.
- Corrosion mitigation experts also make sure that ‘at-risk’ surfaces are protected by applying a layer or layers of anti-corrosion coatings in a bid to climate-proof the surface.
What Are The Benefits Of Corrosion Protection Services?
Professional corrosion protection services can offer industrialists and industrial complex managers many benefits. The sections below highlight some appealing ones :
- Corrosion mitigation services allow industrial complexes to remain compliant with apex norms as all fasteners used in a typical industrial complex will be protected against corrosion, thus limiting the chances of onsite accidents.
- Corrosion mitigation services include the application of anti-corrosion coatings on metal components, thus rendering them indestructible against corrosion-related deterioration that is brought on by elements like ambient moisture, salt/chemical mists, generic oxidation or exposure to environmental factors like torrential rain.
- Corrosion mitigation services also offer abrasion resistance to industrial structures, infrastructure, and heavy industrial equipment like storage tanks.
- Corrosion mitigation services increase the operational life of industrial complexes and the onsite equipment, thus allowing the complex manager to keep their enterprise from facing lawsuits issued by environmental watchdogs and policymakers.
Taking help from a corrosion protection service provider has many benefits, but industrialists will not be able to get the best results if the service provider they have chosen does not have a stellar reputation or a commendable portfolio. Hence, proceeding with caution and taking one’s time to research the service provider is the way of the wise.